Monday, September 9, 2013

Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys…Let them grow up to be Gentlemen instead!

So my co-worker came into work the other morning frustrated and disgusted with the fact that traffic was so horrid and how people have no common sense and no manners.

I have to agree with her. You used to be able to drive into work in the morning and have a reasonably pleasant commute. But now all you hear are people honking their horns because you don’t turn fast enough or you don’t take off fast enough when the light changes to green.

 Then you have those people that think they are Mario Andretti or
Jeff Gordon because they zip in and out changing lanes willy-nilly. Many times I will see someone coming up behind me and I know that he’s going to zip in front of me and he’s not going to make it if I don’t slow down to give him enough room…so I slow down and Voila!, he makes the lane change safely without clipping me or the vehicle in front of him. I’m sure he drives on to work thinking “Damn, I’m a great driver!” But if not for me being a defensive driver and slowing down to make sure he doesn't ram into the back of the big rig in front of him he would be toast!

But anyway…that is my co-workers rant for today; I’m just empathizing with her. My rant today is boys/men that don’t open the door for a lady.

Ok…I know that during the hey-day of the women’s movement it was frowned upon to open the door for a woman. Many women were known to become outraged at the common courtesy because they can open their own doors.

I’m not arguing that point. I’m simply going to tell you a story of what happened to me the other day. During the lunch hour, I had to run to my local bank to make a deposit. Usually I do all my banking in the ATM or online or on my smart phone, but I had cash and that meant a trip to the bank itself.

After I finished my transaction with the teller I stepped back to turn and head out the door. At the next window there was a boy, about 20’ish and he stepped back as I was behind him and he almost knocked me down. He kept going and didn't say anything. My reflexes moved me to say, “Excuse me”. I didn't say it in a sarcastic tone, I said it in a sincere tone like I say when I cross in front of someone, it’s just reflex to be polite. He said nothing and continued to the door.

The bank has two sets of double doors. The first double doors open into a small foyer where there are two ATM machines, and then there is another set of double doors that lead to the outside. When we got to the first set the boy opened the door and waited for me and I said “Thank you” and smiled. Then we got to the next set of doors and the boy stood to the side…I kid you not…he stood to the side and looked at me as though to say “Ok…it’s your turn to get the door for me”. I just stood there, unsure of what to do, but he wasn’t going to open the door, so I opened the door and held it for him and he walked outside without a thank you or a have a nice day or anything. He just walked out. . .

I thought about beaning him in the back of the head with my purse, Gladys Ormphby style…but then just shook my head and got into my car and wondered why it bothered me so much.

And I think anyone that is old enough to remember Gladys Ormphby should have the door held open for her! Am I right?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment